The Open-Distance-Learning (ODL) system is a unique and challenging mode of education offered at the University level. This system provides ample opportunities for those who desire to have University education at their place of work or residence. This method is popularly known as Distance Education. It is perhaps the only way to meet the ever-increasing demand for Higher Education especially in a developing country like India. Distance Education programmes are specially designed for:
- Candidates who discontinue their formal education owing to pecuniary or other circumstances
- Candidates residing in geographically remote areas
- Candidates who cannot get admission to a regular college / Post-graduate department
- Employed persons who cannot pursue their study as full-time candidates
- Individuals who wish to pursue learning for knowledge sake
- Candidates who wish to update knowledge and skills
The Open-Distance-Learning (ODL) system is perhaps the only system that has been planned in such a way that it is able to cater to all those who desire to seek Higher Education in spite of the fact that they are in a disadvantageous position due to social, economic, spatial and such other reasons. Also to cater to the increasing demand for Higher Education, flexibilities in terms of age, qualification, location, time, etc., have been introduced to the maximum extent.